The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are an urgent call for action by all countries to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. The 17 goals unite the world in making positive changes. Governments, communities, businesses, organizations, and individuals all have a role to play in promoting and advancing the wide-ranging goals – including IGM Financial.
We are engaged in activities that align with the SDGs and focus our efforts on the following five SDGs, where we believe we can most effectively apply our efforts.
End poverty in all its forms everywhere
At IG Wealth Management our promise is to inspire financial confidence, through expert financial planning advice backed by superior products and services. The company’s sponsorship and community platform, IG Empower Your Tomorrow, is an extension of this promise. It focuses on building the financial confidence of those who need it most: youth, seniors, new Canadians, and Indigenous Peoples.
A mainstay of our community efforts is our partnership with the Canadian Foundation for Economic Education (CFEE), through which we support programs that promote education in financial literacy. CFEE's programs integrate economic and financial education into the school curriculum.
A precursor to financial literacy is basic literacy. IG Wealth Management supports Dyslexia Canada’s Mark it Read national campaign to raise awareness and support for the 10-20% of Canadian children living with dyslexia.
Read more on promoting financial confidence.
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Diversity and inclusion, including gender equality, is a strategic priority across all IGM Financial companies. We believe strongly in the power of diversity to evolve and grow our business and publicly committed to the United Nations Women’s Empowerment Principles in 2018, a set of seven principles that offer guidance on empowering women in the workplace, marketplace and community.
Our diversity and inclusion strategy helps us in our goal to be a leading, contemporary organization, driven by diverse and inclusive leadership. The strategy includes specific goals and initiatives to enable the upward mobility of women and other underrepresented groups across our Company.
Our commitment to equality extends beyond our walls. Every day, our financial advisors represent and are thoughtfully inclusive of the widely diverse Canadians we serve. In December 2017, we launched the Mackenzie Global Leadership Impact Fund and ETF that invests in companies that promote gender diversity and leadership. And, we believe in supporting like-minded community efforts and working with partners like Catalyst, Gender and the Economy, and Women in Capital Markets to help us on our journey.
Read more about how we are committed to diversity and inclusion, including gender equality.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
We are committed to reducing our role in climate change and have implemented a number of operational initiatives including purchasing renewable energy and carbon offsets, continually improving energy efficiency in our facilities, and taking a leadership role in related community initiatives. We support the increasing consideration of carbon and climate change within the financial industry overall by reporting our emissions and investing responsibly.
We are a long-standing participant in the annual CDP survey (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project). For the 2018 survey, IGM was recognized by CDP as a corporate leader in climate change disclosure with a position on their Climate Change A List.
Our operating companies are making strides to address climate change, through the launch of new products such as the Mackenzie Global Environmental Equity Fund and the hiring of Hermes EOS, a team of leading global engagement specialists, to expand our commitment to active ownership, including engagement with companies on climate change.
Promote peaceful and inclusive societies, justice, and build effective institutions
We also play a role in Canada’s financial services sector through our leadership roles in a number of regulatory, governance, and standards associations, which work in the interests of the investing public.
Throughout our networks, we actively contribute knowledge and advocate in support of regulation that benefits the investing public overall.
We provide key executive leadership to support Canada’s financial services sector, through roles in many organizations including:
- Canadian Coalition for Good Governance
- Canadian Life Insurance (EDI) Standards Association
- Chambre de la Securite Financiere
- Conseil des fonds d’investissement du Québec (CFIQ)
- FundServ Inc.
- Investment Funds Institute of Canada
- Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada
- The Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada
- Ontario Securities Commission
- Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments
Strengthen implementation and revitalize global partnership for sustainable development
Through our support of Canadian and global sustainability initiatives, we are partnering with others to magnify our efforts to in areas of importance to our Company and industry.
We support these initiatives:
- As signatories of the Principles for Responsible Investment and members of the Responsible Investing Association of Canada (IG Wealth Management and Mackenzie Investments) where we are working with other asset managers to put responsible investment principles into practice every day;
- As signatories to the Women's Empowerment Principles, our operating companies have committed to empowering women in the workplace, marketplace and community;
- As designated “Caring Companies” (IG Wealth Management and Mackenzie Investments) by Imagine Canada, we are part of a community of leaders setting the standard for corporate philanthropy in Canada; and,
- By helping transform the way the world does business through our support of reporting greenhouse gas emissions to the CDP and using the Global Reporting Initiative standards for Corporate Responsibility reporting.
Learn more about these and other initiatives we support.